Wednesday, August 1, 2012

A Fun Day

So yesterday we worked on Foxtrot which we will be working on for a few weeks.  I hadn't had so much fun dancing in a long time.  I had the opportunity to teach two new students, which I am of course very glad I could do.  It is a joy to help beginners get a good and sturdy start (Until some person decides to give useless information, but I already covered that) and watch them excel.

International Standard Foxtrot is such a wonderful dance!  It  flows so smoothly and is designed for movement and grace.  I had a lot of fun yesterday practicing the technique and rise and fall.

Why is this though?  Why do I think Foxtrot is a more graceful dance than any other Standard dance?  Think about it.  In all other Standard dances you will close your feet in almost every figure, but in Foxtrot, you are mostly crossing your feet.  Crossing your feet allows for more distance and grace, while closing the feet destroys the flow of the dance, and makes lowering less useful.  And where Foxtrot does close, it is so very well thought out that it does no damage to the momentum or grace.

Ah, International Standard Foxtrot, how I love thee!

-Aaron Mullen

No comments:

Post a Comment