Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Hello,

Yesterday my teacher left the studio, so he asked me to take over for him while he was away.  I taught the two kids classes.  I believe the kids enjoyed a different opinion on things, or just a different method of teaching in general.  The thing I was afraid of was that the kids might start talking too much/loudly, but they were very quiet compared to usual, so I was thankful for their co-operation.

We worked on Foxtrot and Samba in the Teen's class, and we worked on the Foxtrot and Waltz in the little kids class.  I was surprised at how well the little ones paid attention.

I believe the best way to get children to pay attention during some class is to give them as much respect as you would to a grown up.  I find it silly when people think children won't listen to them, when they themselves won't listen to the children.  YOU are the adult, YOU must set the example, not the other way around.  When they talk, listen to them, don't try to talk to them in some dumbed down language.  If they are very intelligent, you don't even need to use simplified terms.  Talk to them almost as if they were a fully grown adult.

Respect.  It is important.  Do not expect to be given any if you give none.

Aaron Mullen:  Ballroom Dance Instructor

No comments:

Post a Comment