Monday, October 10, 2011

Hello,

Tonight at the studio we did some Foxtrot and some Waltz.  It is very frustrating to dance with women who think it is their job to rest on you.  I don't really understand why it is so difficult to see that you are resting on your partner, but of course, I didn't tell them, when I probably should have.

Just so you know ladies, just because you are on top of the man's arm, this doesn't give you the right to rest on him.  I used to dance with a girl who would rest on me a lot, and she would blame me for putting my arm down.  Of course, being myself, I liked to blame all the problems on myself, and I always tried to fix the problem, but it turns out it was entirely not my fault.

So guys, don't be afraid to let your partner know she is leaning on you, and ladies, don't be afraid to let the guys know if they are putting their arms down.  Never yell at your partner, it is counterproductive.  Instead, voice your opinions, and fix the problem together.  Never blame your partner entirely for something which went wrong, it often turns out to be your fault in the end, so it will just save you a bunch of hassle.

Aaron Mullen:  Ballroom Dance Instructor

No comments:

Post a Comment